- The Master’s degree program focuses on teaching useful skills for print, TV, radio and online media and in the use of these skills for multimedia work.
- University and university of applied sciences graduates and newly established journalists have the opportunity to expand their knowledge in the areas of new media trends and social media and to get to know new business models and the concept of entrepreneurial journalism.
- The Master’s degree in Journalism & New Media is taught for a maximum of 20 hours per week.
Type of degree program
Friday and Saturday all-day plus an/one intensive week (intensive weeks take place in the 1st and 2nd semesters, in the first week. The intensive week takes place between Monday morning and Saturday evening.)
Language of instruction
German (single modules in English)
Possible at our partner universities
Start of the degree program
Always at the beginning of the winter semester in September
Place of study
wko campus wien, Währinger Gürtel 97, 1180 Vienna
(U6 metro station Währinger Straße/Volksoper)
- Deadlines & Dates
- Admission requirements Master’s Programs
- Specific admissions procedure MA Journalism & New Media
€ 363.36 per semester (excl. Austrian students’ union fee)
Focus & Qualifications
The Master’s program in Journalism & New Media offers a comprehensive, practice-oriented, journalistic education which, in combination with a subject-specific undergraduate degree, provides an excellent basis for a career in quality journalism.
Components of the degree program
- Journalism expertise in print, TV, radio and online media
- New media trends
- Fundamentals of communication science
- Media law
- Media industry
- Media management
- Practical project
The Master’s Degree in Journalism & New Media is oriented around current developments in the area of media at a global level and offers its students fundamental and new knowledge, preparing them for a profession in a constantly changing media landscape. Medienlandschaft.
Qualifications and skills
Graduates of the Master’s degree program in Journalism & New Media have the following skills and qualifications:
- Editorial work, content conception, planning, research, drafting, preparation and implementation of media products in print, online, radio and audio, TV and video
- Comprehensive knowledge about new media trends, multimedia and online journalism, usage and integration of social media, digital journalism, as well as convergence between traditional and new media
- Specialist and generalist knowledge in the areas of politics, culture, society, business, science, technology etc. as well as knowledge of the interaction between media and these areas
- Program planning
- Editorial management
- Leadership of employees
Know more – do more
The requirements of the labor market are growing and growing – making it increasingly important to be “fit for the job” after completing your degree program. Curricula are improved on an ongoing basis so as to fit in with developments in the working world and new international trends. This is to prepare our graduates for the beginning of – or the next step in – their careers. Our motto spans from “know more” to “do more” – meaning that we focus more on practical strengths learned. Teaching, learning and exams at FHWien der WKW are completed in modules. This means: Topic blocks make up modules, and at the end of the module there is an exam.
What is a module?
A module is a teaching unit consisting of multiple topic blocks, which are thematically linked and cover a specific area relevant to the degree program. In this module, clearly defined skills will be developed, with an examination of all sub elements at the end.
How does it help students?
Teaching is directed towards learning outcomes. Competency-based learning and fewer exams – which are integrated and more comprehensive – make up the curricula. Students’ personal development and their employability in business is our central goal.
Jobs & Career
The combination of the Master’s Degree in Journalism & New Media, in addition to a previously completed degree program, offers the ideal requirements for taking a step into quality journalism. For example:
- A Bachelor’s degree in political science or history and a Master’s Degree in Journalism & New Media give you the best tools to be successful in the area of domestic policy and the area of foreign policy
- The combination of a degree program in business administration and a Master’s Degree in Journalism & New Media offers a good basis for a job as business editor
- Humanities and natural science disciplines combined with the Master’s Degree in Journalism & New Media offer a good basis for a job in the specialized press
- If you are a journalist, you can supplement your training and work in the following areas: multimedia, online, audio or video and be ready for new challenges in journalism.
The following career fields are available to Master’s Degree holders in Journalism & New Media:
- Highly-qualified editor, especially in departments that require technical skills
- Department head
- Multimedia and online journalist
- Managing editor
- Program planner
- Editorial manager
Curious about our study program? Inform yourself about the requirements and the admissions procedure at FHWien der WKW.
Subscribe to the Newsletter "All About Studying at FHWien"
Information about Study Programs & Application
Sie interessieren sich für ein Studium an der FHWien der WKW, Österreichs führender Fachhochschule für Management & Kommunikation? Dann abonnieren Sie jetzt unseren Newsletter „Informieren & studieren“ und erhalten Sie Wissenswertes zu Ihrem Wunsch-Studium und Tipps für Ihre Bewerbung um einen Studienplatz an der FHWien der WKW!
Are you interested in studying at FHWien der WKW, Austria’s leading university of applied sciences for management & communication? If so, then sign up for our newsletter “All About Studying at FHWien” and learn more about your favorite study program at FHWien der WKW and get exclusive application tips!
News & Events
Study Programs & Contact
The Journalism & Media Management Study Programs at FHWien der WKW offer theoretically sound and at the same time practice-oriented Bachelor’s and Master’s programs for the entry into quality journalism. Learn more about us:
- Team & contact
- News & events