Skip to main content

Gaining Experience Abroad

Mobility is an integral part of everyday university life these days and it plays an important role at FHWien der WKW. Every academic year we send about 400 of our students on study-abroad semesters to gain international experience.

Good reasons to study abroad

Follow a new path whilst improving your education – there are many reasons to get mobile:

  • Develop skills and knowledge
  • Perfect your use of foreign languages
  • Improve social competencies and cultural awareness
  • Earn additional qualifications for working life
  • Strengthen self-confidence and adaptability
  • Broaden your horizons

Different opportunities to gain experience abroad whilst studying

Study-abroad semester

Open to all students at some point during their degree program

Double Degree and Top-up Degree

Gain experience abroad and receive a second degree. Master’s students can receive a double degree and Bachelor’s students can receive a top-up degree

Summer Sessions

Available for all students, varied course offers worldwide, information is posted on a news forum on Moodle


Contact the relevant department directly.

Study-abroad Semester

Depending on your degree program, your study-abroad semesters could take place in your 3rd, 4th or even 5th semester. The following three options are available to you:

  1. A partner university in Europe:

    Students can spend a semester abroad at one of our partner universities as part of the Erasmus+ program. Contact CIEM for information about study abroad semesters and the applications procedure.

    Erasmus+ is a student mobility program organized by the European Commission to promote education and mobility in Europe. The mobility program is based on the Erasmus+ Charter for Higher Education 2014-2020 (ECHE). Students who go on Erasmus programs abroad do not have to pay tuition fees to the partner university and receive a monthly mobility grant during their time abroad. Students can visit any partner university that has an Erasmus cooperation agreement with FHWien der WKW.

  2. A partner university outside Europe:

    FHWien der WKW has many bilateral agreements with partner universities outside the European Higher Education Area, for example in Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, China, South Korea and South America.

    Students who study abroad as part of a bilateral agreement do not receive a mobility grant but often pay only reduced tuition fees or alternatively no tuition fees at all to the partner university. Contact CIEM for more information.

  3. Universities worldwide:

    Students can apply to a university of their choice as a free mover. It is not possible to be a free mover at one of our partner universities.

    CIEM can help you apply as a free mover, but you are responsible for the rest of the organization. It is usually necessary to pay tuition fees, and access to lectures tends to be limited. The compatibility of the offered lectures must be agreed upon with FHWien der WKW as there is no partner agreement between the two universities. Preparations should be made well in advance as there is a lot to organize. Please be aware that free movers must also meet the regular application deadlines and conditions.

There are possibilities for grants for students wanting to study abroad outside of the Erasmus+ program. The OeAD offers an overview:

Double Degree

Double degrees give qualified students the opportunity to receive both an Austrian degree and a degree from a foreign partner university. These programs combine the complementarities and strengths of the degree programs offered by both cooperation partners and enable students to gain experience abroad, while at the same time obtaining a second degree. The exact procedure and the mutual recognition of courses and dissertations are formally agreed.

Current Double degree offers are:

Double Degree for the following Master students at the University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia:

  • MA Communication Management
  • MA Marketing & Sales Management
  • MA Executive Management
  • MA Organizational & Human Resources Development (graduates)

Double Degree for students of the Bachelor’s Program in Marketing & Sales at the University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia

Double Degree for students of the Master’s Program Financial Management & Controlling at the Universitat International de Catalunya (UIC) in Barcelona, Spain

Students can find more information on the CIEM Information platform on Moodle.

Internships Abroad

It is often possible for FHWien der WKW students to complete internships abroad. The Erasmus+ program sponsors internships in Europa. It is now even possible to complete internships up to twelve months after completing a degree.

Talk to your department’s internships coordinator if you are interested in completing an internship – they will inform you about the applications procedure and deadlines.

You can also find international internship offers on the job platform on Moodle.

In our Career Center for students and graduates you will also find international internships.