Skip to main content

Studying at FHWien der WKW

Please contact our Service Point if you are interested in applying for one of our Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programs but completed your previous schooling or studies abroad and have questions about the recognition of certificates and degrees or admission requirements and the applications procedure.

Here is some general information about studying at FHWien der WKW:

  • Studying in Vienna
  • Studying at a university of applied sciences
  • Arrival
  • Insurance
  • Living costs

Studying in Vienna

Vienna calling

In 2019 Vienna was again named the ‚most livable city in the world‘. A rich offer of sports and leisure time facilities, cultural heritage and exciting nightlife and events make Vienna a hotspot for students.

Moreover, Vienna’s great location in the heart of Europe makes it the perfect home base for excursions and trips to neighboring countries and cities such as Bratislava, Budapest or Prague.

Studying at a university of applied sciences

Universities of applied sciences offer high-quality practice-based education at tertiary level. There are many reasons for choosing to study at a university of applied sciences:

  • an academic degree embedded in professional practice
  • mandatory internship as an integral part of degree programs
  • small group sizes
  • many degrees offered not just as full-time programs, but also as part-time programs so that you can study and work at the same time
  • fixed curriculum and pre-established study duration of six semesters for a Bachelor’s degree and four semesters for a Master’s degree


It is important to inform yourself about immigration laws well in advance of your trip. Up-to-date information, application forms and lists of documents can be found on the OeAD (Austrian Exchange Service) website. You can read about the most important points below:

  • EU, EEA or Swiss nationals: Students from these countries do not need a visa for their stay in Austria. An official travel document (passport and/or personal identity card) is sufficient for entering and staying in Austria.
  • Students from other countries: Students who are not EU, EEA or Swiss nationals count as third-country nationals and need a right of entry or residence permit to enter and to stay in Austria.


Incoming students should definitely consider the issue of insurance – precaution is certainly better than aftercare! The following generally applies: Students are responsible for the organization of their own health insurance during their time abroad.

  • ÖH (Austrian Students’ Union) Student insurance: Students who pay the student union fee (20.70€ – Status: 2021) are covered for accident and liability. This is only valid for the way to and from university, the time spent at university and whilst participating in university field trips.

Health insurance

There are different requirements depending on your country of origin:

  • EU nationals (including EEA and CH): Students with valid health insurance in their own country are generally covered in Austria. Insurance companies should be consulted for exact insurance charges and conditions. Owning a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is compulsory.
  • If you have valid national health insurance in a country that has concluded a health insurance agreement with Austria (currently the following countries: Bosnia, Croatia, Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey), you have to bring along the form A3, which will be exchanged for health insurance vouchers. These entitle you to medical treatment in Austria
  • Students from non-EU member countries: Health insurance must be organized privately. The cost and the level of insurance should be agreed upon with the Provider.

Living costs

Living costs for study-abroad semesters vary from person to person. Rent is paid monthly and costs on average between 300€ and 500€. A monthly budget of about 700€ or 800€ is needed for the cost of rent, food and leisure activities.

Other costs to plan for:

  • Travel costs
  • Deposit for flat
  • Insurance costs (for non-EU, EEA countries or CH)
  • Student union fee (20.70€ – Status: 2021)

Study in Austria

More information about studying in Austria can be found here.