The MSc Leadership and the Academic Expert for Leadership program focus on the systemic development and expansion of the student’s leadership qualities and leadership methods, in particular social and communication skills. Students repeatedly analyze and reflect on their own leadership behavior. This approach enables multiple learning curves throughout the program.
Both the Master’s program “MSc Leadership” and the program “Academic Expert for Leadership” are designed as part-time programs with blocked dates.
- The Master’s program “MSc Leadership” lasts for 4 semesters, whereas
- the “Academic expert for leadership” takes 2 semesters.
The programs are organized in collaboration with the Hernstein Institute for Management and Leadership.
Academic expert for Leadership
Both programs are organized and carried out in collaboration with the Hernstein Institute for Management & Leadership.
Both programs are organized and carried out in collaboration with the Hernstein Institute of Management and Leadership:
- Part-time program
- Modules with blocked dates
- No academic degree required
- With elements of the renowned “Principles of Responsible Management Education” (PRME)
Type of degree program
Academic expert for Leadership: 27 teaching days (taught on campus)
MSc Leadership: 41 teaching days (taught on campus)
Language of instruction
Start of degree program
Beginning of the winter term
Place of study
wko campus wien, Währinger Gürtel 97, 1180 Vienna and
Seminarhotel Schloss Hernstein, Berndorfer Straße 32, 2560 Hernstein
All lecturers fulfill the qualification profile required by the University of Applied Sciences for Management & Communication. They are academically qualified, have professional experience and proven pedagogical skills.
Furthermore, our program incorporates elements of the “Principles of Responsible Management Education” (PRME) throughout the program. The Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) is a United Nations-supported initiative founded in 2007 as a platform to raise the profile of sustainability in education hubs around the world, and to equip today’s business students with the understanding and ability to deliver change tomorrow.
Both programs are organized and carried out in collaboration with the Hernstein Institute of Management and Leadership. The program MSc Leadership requires you to write a Master’s Thesis and complete an oral Master exam conducted by a commission. The program Academic Expert of Leadership encompasses a project thesis. Diplomas are issued by the University of Applied Sciences for Management & Communication.
Job & Career
The modern working environment constitutes a challenge for leaders. Organizational structures become flatter, more flexible and less hierarchical. Leaders work with employees equipped with multiple qualifications in interdisciplinary teams. New communication systems create new ways of information exchange. The previous “natural” authority through the power of management is becoming less and less important. Due to mobile working and virtual teams, the physical presence of employees is no longer required. Furthermore, employees articulate new expectations and a shift in values, which is strengthened by the generational differences in companies.
The programs MSc Leadership and Academic Expert for Leadership will support you to emerge as an authentic leader.
Target group & Admission requirements: Academic expert for Leadership
- High-School degree AND
- Min. 2 years of appropriate professional experience
Target group & Admission requirements: MSc Leadership
- University degree (at least Bachelor’s level) from an approved Austrian or International university at comparable standard PLUS min. 2 years of professional experience OR
- Min. 6 years of appropriate professional experience, including at least one year of leadership experience
Please send your application including a letter of motivation and your CV via e-mail. We will then invite you to a personal interview.
Mag.a Christine Güttel
FHWien der WKW, Head of Program MSc Leadership
Tel.: +43 (0)690 40 476 053
Mag.a Gabriele Schauer
Hernstein Institut für Management und Leadership, Produkt- & Salesmanagement
Tel.: +43 (1) 514 50-5623
- Tax reimbursement: You can write off the tuition fees against your taxes, as long as the continuing education program is relevant or related to your current occupational field. The tax advantage depends on your total income. You could be reimbursed for up to 43.6% of the tuition fees!
More information can be found here:
Bundesministerium für Finanzen (Federal Ministry of Finance)
Hintere Zollamtsstraße 2b, 1030 Wien
Tel.: 01/514 33-0
The e-mail contact form can be found here:
- BFB Training allowance for companies:
Subsidies in Austria
- Datenbank Weiterbildungsförderung (English)
- Wiener ArbeitnehmerInnen Förderungsfonds (English)
- Arbeiterkammer in German
- Wirtschaftskammer in German
- Weiterbildungsgeld AMS (German)
- Wiener Wirtschaftsförderungsfonds (English)
- You could also save money with help from your employer (for more information see here www.bmf.gv.at)
All information is without guarantee. Please be aware that we cannot make any guarantees about subsidies!