Additional qualification: Foreign languages
Speaking foreign languages is key to long-term success – this skill is not just expected by businesses, but also symbolizes interest for other cultures and a cosmopolitan attitude. Growing markets in Asia, South America and Eastern Europe are also giving diverse foreign languages – and not only English – an important role.
Students at FHWien der WKW have the opportunity to broaden their knowledge of foreign languages outside of their chosen degree program.
Target Groups & Criteria
These practice-based lessons are aimed at students who
- Like to learn about new languages and cultures
- Are planning on completing a study-abroad semester or an internship abroad
- Are considering continuing their working life abroad
- Want to improve their chances for the future
The following criteria are valid for all foreign languages offered at FHWien der WKW:
- Teaching and learning goals and course levels are based on the Common European Framework of Reference of Languages (CEFR)
- Preparation for internationally recognized language examinations is integrated into the course
- Teaching methodology is based on practical exercises and communication
- Course quality is ensured thanks to regular evaluations
„Learning another language is like seeing the world with new eyes.“
Learning a new language is not just about vocabulary and grammar, it is about different cultures and customs. It is the best way to prepare for a study-abroad semester, it symbolizes a cosmopolitan attitude and is an important requirement for job development.
CIEM offers the following language courses:
These courses are for students, alumni, teaching and administrative staff at FHWien der WKW as well as external participants.
- Minimum number of participants per class: 20
- Maximum number of participants: 20
- Teaching units and ECTS: 45 per semester; 4 ECTS
- Time: Wednesdays 3:45 – 6:15 pm
- Price: 130€ per semester for students, alumni, teaching and administrative staff, 230€ per semester for external participants
The cornerstone of good language training is the teacher. Our teaching staff in the Foreign Languages Department are at native-speaker level in the target language (CEFR level C2). They also hold a linguistics degree or teaching degree in the target language and have completed in-depth teacher training.
Curriculum and teaching methodology
The curriculum for the offered language lessons fits in with the language levels described in the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR). The list of criteria defined by the CEFR makes mutual recognition of qualifications possible and helps promote mobility in Europe.
The teaching methodology is practice-oriented and communication-based. All four core-skills (listening, reading, writing, speaking) are practiced regularly whilst concentrating on the communicative competence of the students.
German as a Foreign Language
German language courses are offered to incoming students at FHWien der WKW. The course levels offered each semester depend on the number of registrations.
Students will be assigned a course place depending on ability in one of the following levels: A1, A2, B1, B2/C1
Minimum number of participants: 10
The topics covered are relevant to the German-speaking world:
- Basic knowledge of Austria (geography, history, politics, everyday life, culture etc.) and intercultural aspects
- Current social, political and economic issues
- Literature in the German language (mainly Austrian literature)
- A look at the ways German is spoken in different countries and regions
B2/C1 students also study business German.