An MSC in Financial Accounting offers dedicated professionals with experience in accounting the opportunity to increase the knowledge which they have already gained in their jobs and to develop a sound theoretical understanding of accounting. They will also improve their management and leadership skills – even without a Bachelor’s degree or a school-leaving certificate (Matura): The part-time two or four semester long degree program at FHWien der WKW and WIFI is easy to bring under one roof while working, and supports students in sustainably developing their skills in the area of accounting.
A career with an apprenticeship
In the future, it will also be possible for people who have completed apprenticeships in Austria to complete academic degrees at FHWien der WKW. This is what our Academy for Continuing Education is there for.
*The degree can be started in the 3rd semester if the applicant has already completed a WIFI Financial Accounting examination.
The degree program in MSc Financial Accounting is carried out by WIFI Austria together with FHWien der WKW.
- Accounting from a business and legal perspective
- International reporting and group accounting
- Strategic controlling
- Corporate and tax law
- Corporate governance
- Self-competence, interpersonal skills and leadership competence
Type of degree program
Language of instruction
Start of degree program
Fall or spring – different in each LandesWIFI
Place of study
LandesWIFIs in Austria
Focus & Qualifications
The Continuing Education program in Accounting is geared towards people who have comprehensive experience in accounting. The continuing education program offers the opportunity for students to attain a qualification at university level and is a successful combination of compact, theoretically sound training and a practice-based education. Graduates can take on responsibility in the areas of accounting and/or business controlling, for example as head of a department or project manager.
The Accounting program finishes after four semesters with the academic title “Master of Science”. If you already have completed the WIFI Accounting Certificate (Bilanzbuchhalterprüfung), you can complete the program in two semesters (you will start in the 3rd semester).
The Continuing Education program for Accounting is offered in cooperation with WIFI Austria.
Know more – do more
The requirements of the labor market are growing and growing – making it increasingly important to be “fit for the job” after completing your degree program. Curricula are improved on an ongoing basis so as to fit in with developments in the working world and new international trends. This is to prepare our graduates for the beginning of – or the next step in – their careers. Our motto spans from “know more” to “do more” – meaning that we focus more on practical strengths learned. Teaching, learning and exams at FHWien der WKW are completed in modules. This means: Topic blocks make up modules, and at the end of the module there is an exam.
What is a module?
A module is a teaching unit consisting of multiple topic blocks, which are thematically linked and cover a specific area relevant to the degree program. In this module, clearly defined skills will be developed, with an examination of all sub elements at the end.
How does it help students?
Teaching is directed towards learning outcomes. Competency-based learning and fewer exams – which are integrated and more comprehensive – make up the curricula. Students’ personal development and their employability in business is our central goal.
Quotes of graduates & lecturers
The career field of accountancy has been a constant and stable size in Austrian businesses for many years. With the MSc in Financial Accounting we will help you take on strategic management functions such as head of department or the management of large projects in the areas of controlling, consolidated accounting or reporting.
The academic degree rounds off my repertoire. It expanded my expert knowledge and underpinned it with academically sound elements. Thanks to the lecturers that have shared their experience with us with many, many examples, the knowledge I have gained from this degree program is practice-oriented and can be used in my profession directly. On top of this, the degree program has helped me build up a great network of colleagues from many different industries. The end goal was getting the title. Studying can be fun too!
Job & Career
The continuing education program in Accounting qualifies its students for a leadership role in accounting, or in taking over an area of responsibility in different areas (business controlling, financial management, etc.).
Possible career paths include:
- Head of a department for internal or external accounting
- Manager of large projects in the area of controlling, consolidated accounting or reporting
- Independent accountant
The Continuing Education program in Accounting is geared towards people who have comprehensive experience in Accounting.
Target group & Admission requirements
- Completed first degree (to at least Bachelor level) from a recognized Austrian or equivalent university and at least one year of professional experience OR
- At least six years of relevant professional experience – of which at least one year is spent in a leadership position. Students who have completed an apprenticeship must have completed at least three years of relevant professional experience having finished their apprenticeship.
Application takes place at your chosen LandesWIFI.
Your nearest LandesWIFI can answer any questions you may have.
- Tax reimbursement: You can write off the tuition fees against your taxes, as long as the continuing education program is relevant or related to your current occupational field. The tax advantage depends on your total income. You could be reimbursed for up to 43.6% of the tuition fees!
More information can be found here:
Bundesministerium für Finanzen (Federal Ministry of Finance)
Hintere Zollamstraße 2b, 1030 Wien
Tel.: 01/514 33-0
The e-mail contact form can be found here:
- BFB Training allowance for companies:
Subsidies in Austria
- Datenbank Weiterbildungsförderung (English)
- Wiener ArbeitnehmerInnen Förderungsfonds (English)
- Arbeiterkammer in German
- Wirtschaftskammer in German
- Weiterbildungsgeld AMS (German)
- Wiener Wirtschaftsförderungsfonds (English)
- You could also save money with help from your employer (for more information see here www.bmf.gv.at)
All information is without guarantee. Please be aware that we cannot make any guarantees about subsidies!